This is a step by step guide towards swimming the English Channel with the Channel Swimming Association Ltd.
Read our website thoroughly before booking your swim.
1. Book your CSA Registered Pilot as early as possible, preferably in the year preceding your proposed swim date, to get the best tides and optimum window. Note that our pilots are currently taking bookings for 3 years ahead. Expect to pay in the region of £2750 - £3000.
2. Purchase an Information & Registration Pack where you will also receive your swim number. The packs are released around the July period the year before your swim so can be purchased then to obtain your swim number. However, if you wish to buy one earlier you are able to view all your forms and information regarding your future swim. It does entitle you to a half price pack the following year when you do swim. For relays only one information pack is necessary and it is the responsibility of the team leader to make sure that all members read it.
3. Join the Association as an Associate Member. (Full membership is possible in subsequent years). The member fees are included in the relay fees.
4. Register your swim and pay the Association fees to the Channel Swimming Association Secretary as soon as possible but before the 30th April. Solo swim fees will be approximately £400, this includes administration fee, observer fee and Association membership.
Relay team Managers are requested to submit ALL the teams registration forms at the same time please and not in a succession of packages.
5. Relays get the lowest fees by registering before the 1st April.
6. Try to train in cool/cold water (56-60°F) when ever possible.
7. Solo swimmers: Complete your 6 hour swim in cold water, 60°F or less and get it verified. Post verified certificates to our swim secretary Susan.
Relay swimmers: Complete your 2 hour swim in cold water and get it verified for each team member. Post verified certificates to our swim secretary.
Address: The Administrative Secretary, Channel Swimming Association Ltd, PO Box 10580, Nottingham, NG5 0JH UK
All swims should be completed within 12 months of your swim (some grace given).
8. Arrange for your medical between January and March in the year you intend to swim.
9. Arrange your accommodation.
10. Advise the Secretary and the Swimmer Liaison Officer of your arrival and contact numbers.
11. Remember that there is only one Channel Swimming Association and that we are the only organisation with 85 years of experience of helping Channel swimmers achieve their dreams.
12. All successful swims are recorded in the Association Handbook, price £16.
13. If you have any questions or concerns we probably have International Representatives in your country or possibly even your area and you are encouraged to make contact with them.
Valuable information can be found throughout our website. For any enquiries, please contact our Swim Secretary