This is a step by step guide towards Swimming the English Channel with the Channel Swimming Association Ltd.
1. Consult our website: www.channelswimmingassociation.com
2. Contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Request and send payment for the Information/Registration Pack £39. Please note that this is only available via our swim secretary. This can be paid for using your credit card or a cheque/money order payable to the Channel Swimming Association Ltd. You can either phone and give your credit card details to Julie, post them or send a cheque. For relays only one information pack is necessary and it is the responsibility of the team leader to make sure that all members read it.
4. Join the Association as an Associate Member. (Full membership is possible in subsequent years).
5. Book your CSA Registered Pilot as early as possible, preferably in the year preceding your proposed swim date, to get the best tides and optimum window. Note that our pilots are currently taking bookings for 3 years ahead. Expect to pay in the region of £2500 - £2750.
6. Register your swim and pay the Association fees to the Channel Swimming Association Secretary as soon as possible but before the 30th April. Solo swim fees will be approximately £400, this includes administration fee, observer fee and Association membership.
Relay team Managers are requested to submit ALL the teams registration forms at the same time please and not in a succession of packages.
7. Relays get the lowest fees by registering before the 1st April.
8. Try to train in cool/cold water (56-60°F) when ever possible.
9. Solo swimmers: Complete your 6 hour swim in cold water, 60°F or less and get it verified. Post verified certificates to our swim secretary Julie.
Relay swimmers: Complete your 2 hour swim in cold water and get it verified for each team member. Post verified certificates to our swim secretary Julie.
Address: The Swim Secretary, Channel Swimming Association Ltd, PO Box 10465, Loughborough, Leics, LE11 9HY.
All swims should be completed within 12 months of your swim (some grace given).
10. Arrange for your medical between January and March in the year you intend to swim.
11. Arrange your accommodation.
12. Advise the Secretary and the Swimmer Liaison Officer of your arrival and contact numbers.
13. Remember that there is only one Channel Swimming Association and that we are the only organisation with 85 years of experience of helping Channel swimmers achieve their dreams.
14. All successful swims are recorded in the Association Handbook, price £16.
15. If you have any questions or concerns we probably have International Representatives in your country or possibly even your area and you are encouraged to make contact with them.
To get started, contact our Swim Secretary